Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Emma Smith: My Story


Tonight Lisa and I saw this movie, and I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed it. In fact, I think it is the best "Mormon movie" that I have yet seen. I came away with a greater appreciation for the sacrifices and tremendous diffuculties the early Saints went through, and I was inspiried by the faith displayed by Emma through the violent and sorrowful beginnings of the church.

On a different note, there was a preview for a movie called Sixteen Stones which got my blood boiling immediately. I really dislike the need for some of these LDS movie makers to commercialize and make movies about what I think are very sacred topics. This movie is about the Brother of Jared - perhaps my favorite scriptural account.

Thoughts on Mormon movies?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I was skeptical going into this movie, but I am so glad I did. I loved it! With that, I don't love many Mormon movies. I find a lot of them (namely the 16 Stones type of flick) bordering on blasphemy and painfully cheesy! I think when they are done well they can inspire faith. However, when done poorly I am sure they cause more harm than good to investigators in the church. I am all about bringing up the artistic standards in the church in literature, music, art and movies :)

Jacob Primo said...

I was pretty disappointed in the movie. It seemed to me more of a history of Joseph told from Emma's voice. No accounts of her family, her opposition to polygamy, Joseph taking wives behind her back, her marrying and starting the RLDS church after Joseph's death.

She was a strong and interesting woman. A better treatment of "Her Story" is the biography...Mormon Enigma- Emma Hale Smith